Tenant Housing

Tenant Housing Services Brampton

Our Tenant Rights Legal Services


The relationship of landlord and tenant can be a delicate one. What seems like a straightforward exchange of rent money for a place to live can be complicated by the need for repairs, the issue of guests and subletting, the behavior of both parties and financial issues that make paying rent problematic for the tenant. Whether you are a landlord or a tenant it is important to know your rights. The knowledgeable lawyers at Monu bansal law office are ready to help you with any landlord/tenant disputes. Protect yourself with sound legal advice.
There are a few basic things that you should know about housing law. The law that deals with most landlord and tenant disputes is the Residential Tenancies Act of 2006. If you live in subsidized housing (social housing) the Housing Services Act also applies to you. The law is very different for members of housing co-ops. It is called the Cooperative Corporations Act.
Landlords most often have problems with their tenant if they have not paid their rent on time or have caused some damage or a disturbance. That type of behavior will usually cause the landlord to begin eviction proceedings against the tenant. Tenants most often have problems with their landlords when their apartments need repairs and the landlord does not make them. There may also be disputes over the amount of the rent, the landlord selling the building or the landlord’s access to the apartment.
Tenants are often in a more vulnerable position than the landlord because they often know less about the applicable law than the landlord does. It is important to have good legal advice in order to level the playing field. Our Clinic offers information, advice and representation to low income tenants. If you are having a problem with your rental unit or your landlord, we can help explain your rights and obligations under the law. We can also advise you when to get help from another service and how to take legal action to deal with your issue. In some cases we will represent you. There are many resources available to help you.

12 + 13 =